MESTI KLIK DENGAN WORLD SPORTS ZONE!!!

Friday, January 21, 2011

AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2011

 
Svetlana Kuznetsova had lost to seven-time Grand Slam champion Justine Henin 16 times prior to Thursday, but in a gutsy effort from the Russian, overcame a serious bout of nerves to knock the Australian Open 2004 champion out of the tournament in a 6-4, 7-6 (8) victory.

Considered one of the tournament favourites even though she came into the event as the 11th seed, Henin couldn't find her highest level in the up and down contest, despite holding a set point in the second set.

While Kuznetsova was able to crack serves and dominate the court with her heavy forehand, Henin was unable to move the Russian around, had trouble containing her own forehand and was sporadic while serving, finishing the contest with 41 unforced errors.

"I think I was aggressive, and I served better," Kuznetsova said. "Then I think I dictated most of the time. I have not been scared at all when I went to the match, so I just wanted to play my game and try to play with my best against her worst. She doesn't have worse, but I mean something where she doesn't like."

It was a remarkable effort from the Russian, who has had more trouble against the Belgian than any other player during her career. While neither woman played particularly cleanly, Kuznetsova fought as she ever has in Melbourne. She failed to serve out the match at 5-4 in the second set and faced set points in the breaker.

"The nerves came," the two-time Grand Slam champion said. "Then started to do a little bit of show time, it's like comedy. Women's drama going on. It's not only women's. It's like every match you see something, when it's tough matches you see something like that, and then you have to fight the nerves to fight against yourself a little bit."

Kuznetsova stood strong and watched Henin uncharacteristically double fault and then commit a forehand error to take the contest. Henin, who has been trying to reconstruct her serve in order to gain more power, double faulted nine times.

"Of course it's disappointing to lose like this," said Henin. " She is just been better than me, especially in the important moments. I got some opportunities in the second set to come back, but I never really took the lead in this match. I was really too far. I never took the good opportunities and she was much more aggressive than me. So that made a big difference."

Henin, who had just returned action at the start of the year after being sidelined for six months with an elbow injury, wasn't pleased with her play, but didn't expect much better as she had little rhythm coming into the tournament.

"I know I'm not 100%," she said. "I knew it before walking on the court. That's why I say there are no excuses. I decided to play not being 100%. It's been difficult in the last three days on my elbow and I just did everything that I could that it will be okay, but it wasn't enough. I think Svetlana played a good match. She has all the credit today."

Kuznetsova had an up and down 2010, winning just one title and disappointing at the majors, only reaching the fourth round of the Australian and US Opens. When the 23rd seed is focused, she is still one of the best players on tour because she can do just about anything with the ball, but when she's not, she's capable of spraying balls into the bleachers.

But she came into this season with a renewed commitment and taking down the woman who beat her in both Roland Garros 2006 and US Open 2007 finals felt very good.

"I just have to be there and fight. I think I fighted against myself very well and also I did against Justine," said Kuznetsova, who will next play French Open champion Francesca Schiavone in the next round. So I'm pretty pleased."

No comments:

Post a Comment